Diagnostic medical sonographers and cardiovascular technologists and technicians, including vascular technologists, also called diagnostic imaging workers or ultrasound technicians, operate special imaging equipment to create images or conduct tests. The images and test results help physicians assess and diagnose medical conditions.
Diagnostic medical sonographers and cardiovascular technologists and technicians, including vascular technologists, typically have the following duties:
- Prepare patients for procedures by taking their medical history and answering any questions about the procedure
- Prepare and maintain diagnostic imaging equipment
- Operate equipment to obtain diagnostic images or to conduct tests
- Review images or test results to check for quality and adequate coverage of the areas needed for diagnoses
- Recognize the difference between normal and abnormal images, and identify other diagnostic information
- Analyze diagnostic information to provide a summary of findings for physicians
- Record findings and keep track of patients’ records
Below is a video that showcases the daily duties of a sonographer.
Before we go through in detail of day to day tasks of sonogram technician, let us see at which places they can work.
There are various jobs in medical industries in which ultrasound technician can serve their services. Basically, they can find jobs in smaller clinics, in the radiology department in major hospitals, physicians’ office and different other places. There is also an increase in demand for traveling sonographers technicians, so hospitals hire them the temporary basis for a few weeks or months.